12.18.2011


In a couple months I think I am going to look at my life and not recognize it; that is what I'm anticipating anyway. There is this song by The Dixie Chicks (E loves to fall asleep to them) where they sing about taking "the long way around" 
my friends from high school 
married their high school boyfriends 
moved into houses in the same zip codes
where their parents live

I know this is the normal thing to do, and I would never hate on it. I just didn't do life this way. So, every couple of years I look back on where I used to be and it seems like everything has changed for me. I have not had true and predictable consistency in "where I live" and "what I do all day" for more than two years since I was seven years old... that's twenty years of always knowing that in near future, the place I live will be different and the thing I am spending my time on (or the place it is happening, or the people it is happening with)  is a temporary focus for my energy. But I have never focused on that fact so much as I am right now. Probably because it is the end of that era.

I believe Marc could be working the same job in twenty years that he is working today. And, although I don't want to hope for such permanency for myself in job-work; I know for the next twenty years what my main day-to-day focus will be. And if I so choose, I know where I am going to spend those years. And I am so excited about it. I want to get bored out of my mind with where I live and my daily routine. Well, I don't think I'll get bored. But, I know, I'll be able to enjoy things more simply. I have had twenty years of background noise. And when it was just me, or just Marc and me, it kept things interesting. I think it kept me out of trouble. I have collected a few consistent friends and my extended family is always some sort of telecommunication away. Maybe I'll hate waking up at night from a dream and knowing where I am immediately, but I really think I'm going to enjoy it. I can not wait to have a baseline to watch time go by to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...